Welcome to FOUR

Welcome to FOUR

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Okato Sport special edition


This week we look at the man who has presented TVONE'S coverage of the FIFA World Cup.
The 46 year old father-of-two has won many awards during his 20+ year career in radio including Sports Broadcaster of the year for the fifth time this year.

When it comes to sporting codes football has always been his favourite.

His interest with the round ball began with attempts to try and kick it around rock-hard, frost-ridden Hutt Valley fields as a skinny primary school kid.

Once Brian Moore's "Big Match" started screening every Sunday lunchtime on TV and he discovered the joy of watching rather than the pain of playing he was forever hooked.

"I formally retired when I went to University mostly because I had no pace, no real left foot, couldn't header, hated tackling, ditto training".

But that didn't mean that Devlin gave up on football.

"When I got the gig on Radio Sport doing breakfast in 1998, I was determined to try and "normalise" or "mainstream" the sport. We started by giving it decent air time on the radio".

Not long later he helped produced The House of Football - the first dedicated NZ soccer show on television.

"As a kid I clearly remember watching my first World Cup final. It was in 1974 and in colour, I never thought that one day I'd be on the other side of the screen presenting it"

"It's a real privilege to be anchoring TVNZ's coverage of the FIFA World Cup, as a lifetime football fan this gig has got to be considered one of the best jobs anywhere in the world this year and to be honest it's quite difficult to consider it work."

No comments:

Post a Comment